missing body sound
to an instrument’s
Available Spring 2023
Preliminary Product Information – Available Spring 2023
Product Specification Subject to Change
Introducing ToneDexter II
Due to a worldwide shortage of computer chips following an unprecedented demand due to Covid related supply issues, we have had to redesign ToneDexter. The orginal ToneDexters are no longer available.
The good news is that has allowed us to incorporate more powerful features, a new color screen, and improvements to ease of use.
However the ability to plug your pickup into ToneDexter II and the output to the PA or your acoustic instrument amp, select a WaveMap, to make your live pickup sound match your studio mic, remains the same.
Subscribe to Audio Sprockets News Emails for ToneDexter II News and Availability
Subscribe to Audio Sprockets News Emails
Plug your pickup into ToneDexter and the output to the PA or your acoustic instrument amp, select a WaveMap sound and play. Your live pickup sound will match your studio mic.
There is a built in Tuner and a Boost switch for selecting extra gain for solos. You can EQ the sound and apply intelligent filtering to deal with any feedback issues.
It’s simple and it will change the way you play live.
ToneDexter II has the same training and WaveMap playing features as the original ToneDexter so Molly and Doug’s videos are still relevant.
ToneDexter II Features
ToneDexter II is compatible with all stringed instruments using piezo pickups.
Features New to ToneDexter II
- Color screen, context sensitive controls and labels
- All parameters can be stored and fully recalled in 64 available presets, including all input and output levels
- Firmware upgrade and Preset management via USB
- Support for stereo and dual source pickups with switchable 9V mic bias on Ring
- Enhanced EQ controls adds parametric mid boost/cut and high-pass, along with low and high shelf/bell
- Stereo capable Effects Loop with separate Send and Receive jacks
- Aux in for playing along with stereo input sources
- Headphone output can also be used as a stereo line output
Features Common to Original ToneDexter
- Works on any acoustic instrument, with most active or passive piezo pickup systems
- Mute switch that activates a built-in high precision tuner, accurate to within 1 cent
- Boost switch for solos with 0-8dB extra gain
- Character control adds additional punch to the WaveMap
- Latency less than 1ms
- 1/4″ pickup input, 1MΩ (or 10MΩ with cable mod)
- 1/4″ line output with output level control
- XLR DI output with output level control
- Analog boost and mute circuits positioned after effects loop, so no headroom loss when boosting
- XLR mic input with 48V phantom power
- +/-15V internal supplies for professional headroom and dead quiet operation
- 6.3″ (160mm) W x 5.9″ (150mm) D x 2.3″ (58mm) H
- 2.0 lbs (.907 kg)
ToneDexter II Controls and Connections
Features shown are preliminary and are subject to change as we finalize product and software testing.
ToneDexter Playing and How To Videos
These videos show the original ToneDexter. ToneDexter II has similar training, playing and sound quality features.
How ToneDexter Works
Start by plugging in both a mic and your pickup into ToneDexter. Play your instrument for two minutes while ToneDexter builds a WaveMap to make your pickup sound like your mic. Then store the sound into one of 22 WaveMap locations in ToneDexter. Once you have it, you no longer need the mic.
You can store WaveMaps of different mic positions to give you a selection of sounds when you play.