Due to a worldwide shortage of computer chips following an unprecedented demand due to Covid related supply issues, we have had to redesign ToneDexter. The orginal ToneDexter described here is no longer available. ToneDexter II will be available Nov 2023.
Subscribe to Audio Sprockets News Emails for ToneDexter II News and Availability
Subscribe to Audio Sprockets News Emails
Plug your pickup into ToneDexter and the output to the PA or your acoustic instrument amp, select a WaveMap sound and play. Your live pickup sound will match your studio mic.
There is a built in Tuner and a Boost switch for selecting extra gain for solos. You can EQ the sound and apply a notch filter to deal with any feedback issues.
It’s simple and it will change the way you play live.
Studio Sound Combined with the Convenience of a Piezo Pickup
ToneDexter restores the rich body tone of your acoustic instrument to the pickup using proprietary digital signal processing technology combined with a pristine analog signal path.
Audio Sprockets has created a way to learn the difference between the sound coming from the pickup, and the sound coming from a microphone, placed in front of the instrument, and use that information to create a transformation called a WaveMap.
Once you have stored your mic sound into ToneDexter, simply plug in your instrument and play.
ToneDexter works with guitar, violin, mandolin, dobro, banjo, upright bass, and most other acoustic stringed instruments.
How ToneDexter Works
Start by plugging in both a mic and your pickup into ToneDexter. Play your instrument for two minutes while ToneDexter builds a WaveMap to make your pickup sound like your mic. Then store the sound into one of 22 WaveMap locations in ToneDexter. Once you have it, you no longer need the mic.
You can store WaveMaps of different mic positions to give you a selection of sounds when you play.
Click on image to see connections for Training, Live, Studio and Reamping…
- Works on any acoustic instrument, with most active or passive piezo pickup systems
- Stores 22 custom WaveMaps, selectable via 11 position rotary switch and bank select switch
- Mute switch that activates a built-in high precision tuner, accurate to within 1 cent
- Boost switch for solos with 0-8dB of settable gain via rear panel pot
- Bass and Treble EQ
- Sweepable notch filter for feedback suppression
- Character control which adds additional punch to the WaveMap
- Latency less than 1ms
- Effects loop (TIP send, RING return)
- 1/4″ pickup input, high impedance (1MΩ)
- 1/4″ line output with output level pot on front panel
- XLR DI output, with rear panel option switch for fixed level or level that follows output level pot
- Analog boost and mute circuits positioned after effects loop, so no headroom loss when boosting
- XLR mic input with 48V phantom supply, used for training
- Headphone output
- Phase (polarity) switch on rear panel
- +/-15V internal supplies for professional headroom and dead quiet operation
- SD card slot for field upgrade of software
- 6.3″ W x 5.9″ D x 2.3″ H
- 2.0 lbs